Home    About Me    Facebook    Recipes    Link Parties

Saturday, July 30, 2011

5, 4, 3, 2, 1 Things About Me

   I've seen this little interview in a couple of blogs. It started as a profile interview on Craft. I decided to do it because I'm kind of new to blogging and I'd like all my readers to know more about me. I find very interesting to read about my favorite bloggers so I hope you find this interesting too. Here I go:

5.4.3.2.1. things about...

   My name is Yadira, I'm a 22 y/o lady from Puerto Rico. My first language is Spanish and it sometimes takes me a while to write a post because I'm actually thinking in Spanish, then translating to English. I have a Bachelors degree in Tourism that I just finished (I haven't even had my graduation yet). I decided to try to make a living from my crafts because I REALLY love to create things all the time. I know from experience that if I'm not creating I'm not a happy person. I've always been inclined toward arts but it was when I found crochet around 2 years ago that I started to be the crafty person that I am now. I know how to crochet, sew and I'm practicing my embroidery stitches, about knitting... I only know how to cast on. LOL

One Project You Are Particularly Proud Of:
That would have to be Lola, my first cloth doll. I made the pattern myself and after a few failed attempts I got her. I really like how she turned out and she has a special spot in my craft room.

Lola Dollie

Two Mistakes You've Made in the Past:
   * The worst and most embarrassing mistake I've ever made was 2 years ago. I was running and designing a tattoo magazine. I had a meeting with a few models and I wrote a text message to one of my friends talking about one of the models. I mistakenly sent it to the exact model I was talking about and it was horrible. She read the message and started to cry and her friend started to insult me. I'm very sorry and ashamed but I can't go back in time, so I'll have to live with that forever. :S
   * Wanting everything to be perfect before I even attempt to do it. Like when I'm designing a purse, I want it to be perfect without even making it. Or when making garments... Those garments I haven't made because I want to have EVERYTHING I need before I start.

Three Things That Make Your Work Unique:
   * Upcycling VHS Tape: I incorporate old VHS movies into my hair clips that would otherwise end up in the landfills.
   * Bright colors: I don't know if it's good or bad but I always try to incorporate bright colors in my creations.
   * Lots of pre-planning: A great amount of thinking goes into everything I make. I sometimes doodle in a notebook, think about what are the best materials to bring it to life, think about how useful the item would be. Many, MANY things happen in my mind before I create anything new.

Flor para el cabello tejida con cinta de satin / Crochet flower using satin ribbon - Hair clip


Four Tools You Love to Use:
   * I love my camera, a Canon SD780 IS. Nothing fancy but it does the work if you treat it with love.
   * My printer, a Canon iP4700. I love it a lot since if you use it right you get to print BEAUTIFUL pictures and pretty much anything. I use it for my business cards and the stickers I use to seal packaging etc...
   * My sewing machine, a Brother CE-5500PRW. It has never failed me.
   * My crochet hooks.



Five Inspirations:
   *  My mom: She is always doing something new. Every time I visit her she has a different set of tools for the new craft she is attempting to teach herself. She always finds the way to use those crafts and incorporate them to her already long list of things tried.
   * Materials: I can have the worst crafter's block and I take out my ribbons, floss, cabochons, buttons or fabric and they tell me what to make.
   * Total strangers: Sometimes I am shopping in the mall or driving around and I see someone with a particular style/look and then I try to create accessories that would complement that style.
   * I hate to admit this, but Japanese street fashion inspires me a lot. I follow some blogs related to those styles and they end up showing in my creations even if I don't notice. ** ^ On top of this text: To the left a sweet lolita and to the right a girl wearing mori girl fashion.
   * Last but not least, the online crafty community: I follow MANY blogs and many Flickr users. These people have become my teachers and if I'm stuck with something I know who to ask or where to find the answer.They share their creations and even if I don't make anything that day I always have the satisfaction to see what my fellow crafters have made.

11 comments:

  1. Coming from swapbot (my username is majki)! I love your blog, you're so talented! Following!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Marina: Thank you very much for the following! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! Just popping in from Swap-Bot! Love your blog... Lola is adorable!! :) I will be following ~ Beverley xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I found you through swap bot too. I am following your blog now. I like. This post! I think you do a pretty good job with your English. I look forward to seeing more of your blog.

    Raven
    http://www.rochambeau-ravenrt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Me! & Raven: Thanks for your comments and following. I hope you stick around in this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved reading this post, Yadira! This is a fun idea . . . maybe I'll write one up sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Skooks: YAY! You should do it so I can learn more about you. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great idea! I'm happy that I did this through swapbot and ended up finding your blog and learning more about you. Of your questions, I really am interested in the ways you "upcycle" used items like VHS tape :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Phillaine: Welcome! Feel free to stay around. I use VHS tape on my hairclips, you can read a little bit more about it in this post: http://crafty-adventures.blogspot.com/2011/07/yummy-post.html

    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I'm Gwenelle visiting from Swap-bot for the Blogger Swap. You have such a cute blog! I love the variety of your crafts. And this interview post is a great idea; I think I'll have to do one like this too.

    Oh, and I'm following you now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Gwenelle: Thank you very much and if you do this interview let me know so I can check it out. ;D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...